Department of Neonatology
The neonatology department at millennium hospital, Mussafah, Shabia focuses on the medical care of newborn infants, particularly those who are born prematurely or with medical complications. We provide highly equipped Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) and have the best neonatologist and trained neonatology nurses who assure good care for each child and their services are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week. They also work closely with obstetricians to provide care for newborns during delivery and the postpartum period.
At Millennium Hospital in Shabia, Mussafah, Abu Dhabi, there are three levels of neonatal intensive care offered within the NICU.
I: Offering care for healthy newborns who are low risk and uncomplicated, as part of routine postnatal care.
II: Intermediate care is provided for moderate to selected high-risk newborns, including short-term intensive care in a special care nursery, usually for less than 48 hours.
III: Providing comprehensive and ongoing intensive care for premature and critically ill newborns and patients, including high-risk treatment and life support for those in need.
Scope of care
- Level III Neonatal services
- direct access from the new state of art family and baby-friendly Labor and Delivery suite equipped with facilities for stabilization and transfer of babies in to the adjacent NICU
- An onsite point of care technology for immediate blood gas, blood sugar
and electrolyte results
- Digital imaging readers in the unit
- Isolation room with negative pressure
- Respiratory and hemodynamic monitoring systems linked to a central monitoring system in the unit
- Baby Leo, which can be used as incubators and open warmers
- Open care system & isolette (incubator)
- 24-hour in-house coverage by a neonatologist
- Family centered care
- Neonatal ventilation (conventional, high frequency oscillatory, biphasic, CPAP, HFNC)
- Inhaled nitric oxide for pulmonary hypertension of newborns
- Continuous cerebral function monitoring of at risk newborns (amplitude integrated EEG)
- Systemic hypothermia programs for neuroprotection of newborns. One of the few centers in the country providing total body cooling therapy for asphyxiated infants
- Total parenteral nutrition
- Hearing screening test
- Metabolic screening test
- Screening for congenital heart disease
- Isolation care unit
- Cranial Ultrasound
- Neonatal transfers, Equipped transfer incubators
- Neonatal developmental care follow-up clinic